Saturday, September 18, 2010

Popsicles, the next big thing?

So maybe I'm a little late to jump on the ice cream bandwagon, but perhaps my imagination can lead me in a similar, yet profoundly innovative direction.  When discussing the possibilities of opening an ice cream shop in small town Sebastopol, I was immediately informed that another local business already had a stronghold on the hearts, and stomaches, of the quaint Sonoma County community.  Why wouldn't they?  It's 2010 and organic, locally produced ice cream is far from a new development.  Not that I'm one to back down from a challenge, but why compete with a business after my own heart.

I stand by the belief that there are many elements necessary to achieving success in business, and to creating a product that will exceed your customers demands, the most important being novelty.  If you're making something that someone else has already created, it better be damn good.  The upside of the ice cream business is that "good" is very subjective.  By that I mean your goat milk gelato might be preferred over a traditional gelato by a certain group of people, each side arguing that their preference is "better".  But who is right? The answer is neither, and both.

But I digress, this blog is supposed to be about popsicles.  I have yet to tackle the issues regarding popsicle making but I intend to and I promise to report on my findings as soon as possible.  On a side note, I was recently re-enraged over the discontinuation of my beloved jello pudding pops .  Yes the disappearance did take place over 15 years ago, but it doesn't make it hurt any less.  With that in mind, I am formally announcing my intention to re-create the memorable and highly regarded jello pudding pop, icy shell and all.  Heck, maybe I'll even try out some other flavors while I'm at it.

Stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. BRITAIN needs BRITTON... Good ice cream over here is non existent...I have been deprived for years . Right on Britt ...I'm behind you all the way !
    Staying tuned...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this idea!!!! i miss jello pudding pops and i am with buzz--i will go with you to london and open shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brit bring it on home. Love your ideas and I love both the Pops and Ice Cream.

    ReplyDelete